Wednesday, September 3, 2008

In The Wake Of Gustav

If you saw the comment left by my cousin regarding Monday's post, you know that even though we had mild effects from Gustav...my family in Arkansas and Northeast Louisiana are getting slammed.

Rita informed me that her family was without power and water yesterday...and tornadoes are expected throughout today. She has her electricity back on...but is not sure how long this will last. Her daughter is still without power and doesn't know how long before it might be restored.

I then received a telephone call from my sister, Rosa. They are without power and have been told it could be up to two weeks before it is restored. The highway in front of her house has been closed due to flooding and her swimming pool is overflowing because she is not able to use the pool pump. Add to that downed trees on power lines, more rain expected over the next three days and the threat of tornadoes tonight...and you have a potentially serious situation.

I called my dad to see how they are doing. They are also without power, with trees down and water everywhere. He braved the storm to check on the fish camp and said that the water is already up to the corner and will probably be under the camp by tomorrow morning.

I can't reach my mother. She lives in town, so I am pretty sure that she is okay.

Today, we sit along the Gulf Coast's hurricane zone with the sun shining and a gentle breeze, thanks to Gustav. My family, who live over 300 miles away from any coastline, is suffering strong winds and flooding from the same storm.

It really makes me stop to think: Just a few days ago, we were asking to spared a blow from Gustav. Having avoided it completely, we now pray that our family would be spared loss in his wake.

These words from the Living Proof blog hit close to home today, in more ways than one.

"We find ourselves in a terrible quandary, asking God to cause the storms to bypass our areas but sick at heart to imagine them hitting another. None of us want to lose our homes but none of us want to see others lose theirs either."

El Roi, we praise You who sees all and ask that You would watch between us today. Keep each family member safe in Your embrace whether the sun is shining or the rains are falling overhead. To You be the glory, whatever the weather may be that visits our lives today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paige got her electricity back yesterday afternoon and we missed all of the tornadoes. I didn't realize it hit the Hamburg area so hard because the schools opened right back up after Labor Day. Our schools are out the rest of the week with the exceptions of some of the colleges.

Mom and Aunt June are fine. I talked to them Tuesday. They had a tornado in Lake Village yesterday afternoon but I don't know if there was any damage or not. I guess I will find out today as mom is suppose to be working in L.V. today.

Rita