Thursday, May 25, 2017

Designing Summer

Our Little Miss Watermelon Baby
Bailey Rae
Today is the last day of instruction for most of the public schools here in the Greater Houston area of Texas.  That means, despite the calendar's evidence to the contrary, summer begins TOMORROW!

Yesterday I logged on to my Facebook to see Bri's picture from Sargent. Is it not the perfect representation of summer here on the Gulf Coast? 
  • Beach?                      CHECK!
  • Swim suit?                CHECK!
  • Pony tail?                  CHECK!
  • Watermelon?            CHECK!
This has me thinking about how I want to spend my summer this year.  Jim and I no longer have kids in school, so it is easy to just let summer pass like any other time of year.  Work, home, work, home...maybe a weekend trip here or there.  No big vacation plans.  No real change to the schedules or routines.

BUT THIS SUMMER....

I want to do something a little different. 
Make some plans. 
Change up our routine to enjoy the longer days.

I'm trying to convince my husband to make more use of our new place on Caney Creek this summer.  We are trying to keep our June weekends empty of outside commitments so that we can spend them in Sargent...fishing off the dock...reading on the porch swing...taking the boat to dinner...making homemade ice cream...maybe, I'll even get a bicycle to cruise around on. 

I also want to make time for family and friends, and for making new friends.  I'm thinking over so many ideas for connection and fellowship...inviting people to lunch...having the older grands down for a Cousins Camp...maybe even having an old-fashioned fish fry one weekend.

I think this quote from Darell Hammond sums up my hopes of summer:

Aaah, summer - that long anticipated stretch of lazy, lingering days, free of responsibility and rife with possibility.  It's a time to hunt for insects, master handstands, practice swimming strokes, conquer trees, explore nooks and crannies, and make new friends.
How about you?
Any special plans for your summer?
Any ideas on how I might have the summer of my dreams?

No comments: