Monday, February 11, 2008

From The Bayou City To The Big Apple

About a year ago, I sat around a table with a couple of friends for Girls Night. The four of us try to get together at least once a quarter to share a meal and discuss the details of our lives. As we ate, we tossed around the idea of getting out of town for a Girl's Weekend. We had talked about it before, but there was always something going on with one of us. We threw around ideas of where we would like to visit...a cruise to Mexico, a road trip to the Gulf Coast, flying out to Napa Valley or visiting New York to see a Broadway play in person. We parted ways that evening with encouragments that we really should try to plan something for 2008.

A few weeks later, after eating my Panda Express Orange Chicken, I opened my fortune cookie which read..."Take A Trip With A Friend". I laughed out loud and then placed the slip of paper under my desk pad. I sent out a email requesting that we all try to make the daydream a reality.

At our next Girls Night...mid-summer I think...Robin asked where we wanted to go. We had narrowed it down to California or New York (leaning more heavily toward NY myself). She pulled out a calendar and told us we had to decide on a date that very night. This thing was really going to happen. We looked over our very busy calendars. Between the three of us that will be able to make the trip we have 11 children, 3 grandchildren (that's a lot of birthdays to plan around!), 2 jobs and 3 households. That doesn't even take into account the pets and volunteer work that have to be covered while we are gone. We chose a date in April, made hotel reservations and began the search for airline tickets.

Almost immediately the April date was at risk. One of us received word that our April may be filled up after all. We regrouped via email and changed the date to February. Our tour guide extrodinaire, Robin, changed our reservations, made the airline arrangements, purchased our Broadway tickets and began putting together our itinerary for the trip that includes a meal at Tavern on the Green. And now...in just ten days, we will be boarding a plane and headed to the Big Apple for five days and four nights of Girl Time!

I am so excited I can hardly stand it! With all the changes that have been swirling around us lately, the trip has snuck up on me. That is probably a good thing. However, now I only have 10 days to get ready to go to New York! From the land of capri's and sandals to the land of cold and snow. I am not even sure how to pack for New York in February. I ordered a long coat from Macy's in January, but they were unable to fill the order so now I am hoping that my mid-length coat will be okay.

Does anyone out there have suggestions on what to pack? Any place we just have to see while we are there? I would love some help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cuddle Duds. These are light weight but keep you very warm. I think it is spelled Cudl duds. Anyway, I bought them before I went to Indiana and they kept me very warm. You can usually find them at Belk or Dilliard's. Also invest in a scarf that wraps all the way around your head to keep the wind out. A good pair of gloves and stylish walking shoes. NO HEELS!!

Have a great time!!!!!!
Rita

Brenda said...

Hey sounds just wunderful...I have been singing Green Acres themes song this week ha!
The Lord has a far greater plan for the family... when you are weak He is stong. Forever His grace and will be suffient keep depending and trusting Him with all things for with Him He is able, we are not able. Walk with Him Close.
B

Brenda said...

As you and Jim help with Casey's life know His angels are with standing and setting with you both.
God has close watch and those in trials are never alone.
Get well...hope you stay healther.
B

Brenda said...

Welcome Home! Friend