Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Our God Who Watches Over Us

"...May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other."


Genesis 31:49 has long been a favorite verse of mine. It is especially dear when the seperation of miles between myself and extended family is made worse due to illness or emergency. It has become even more precious as my children have grown up and began to exercise their independance.


I realize that as Laban and Jacob spoke these words to one another they were speaking as two of the best con men that the Bible records. Jacob deceived his father into giving him the eldest son's birthright which belonged to his brother, Esau, and Laban deceived Jacob into taking his eldest daughter in marriage when he was in love with the younger.


Despite it's original context, it is a wonderful reminder that no matter where our loved ones may be, God sees. Hallelujah! Thank You, Jesus! Because this was our Monday...

Bri is okay. It is a miracle, but she walked away with only a few scrapes and a couple of bruises. She was driving home from class and lost control in a curve. The car spun around taking out a fence and a couple of trees. The car is toast. She knocked out four of the six windows. Only the windshield and drivers side back door glass are left intact. The damage to the door you see here was done by a pine tree which actually kept the car from rolling over.

As I drove home from viewing the accident sight, I found myself considering how precious life really is...how easily the phone call could have been very different...how we do not always receive 'notice' of an impending loss. I praise God for His ability to watch over my children when I cannot.

We have all been very concerned (as well we should be) about my cousin who at the age of 20 is battling cancer. Monday's accident reminded me that it could be any one of us, at any moment. It is at times like this that I am made even more aware that each of us has been fearfully and wonderfully made and that 'in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." (Ps. 139:16)

Yes, God watches between the deceitful as Witness to their agreements...but thankfully, He also watches over our loved ones as we are absent one from the other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of her so much this week. Thank God! She is o.k. Monday 6-7p.m. I was thinking of her future and all the Lord has waiting for her and since then she has been on my heart. yes life is precious.
..."May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other."

Fonda said...

Thanks, B! You don't know how many times your prayers have carried us in the last 14 years. Give Art & Sam our love! Hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Forever and ever God is gracious, they shall continue. He touches my heart and I instantly feel the Goodes may have a need of prayer. HONEST
I will give them Good Goode love, mine. Give our love to all. Yes certainly been too long... see you soon.