Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering & Preparing

September 11, 2001...the day will forever be embedded in the mind of my generation like Kennedy's assassination for my mother's generation and Pearl Harbor for my grandparent's.

I remember that I was driving in to work that morning and for some strange reason, as I pulled up to the toll road entrance, I switched from listening to a CD to the radio. The first words I heard were Susan O'Donnell at KSBJ saying that there had been an accident at the World Trade Center and an airplane had hit one of the towers. Within seconds, her voice full of bewilderment, she told us that the second plane had hit...this was no accident.

My commute was about an hour long. I listened intently to the news that was pouring through my radio speakers. In shock, I don't know how I missed running someone over that morning. All I could think was, 'this is the beginning of war.' My oldest son was still well under an age to be drafted...but I knew that there was a possibility that it might still be raging when he turned 18.

Like most Americans, I spent the remainder of that day (and several days after) on information overload...watching the television screen, trying to piece together the information we were receiving.

Fast forward seven years and September 11 has found me glued to the television screen yet again. Not a terrorist attack this time, but an act of God with the name of Ike barreling his way across the Gulf of Mexico and heading our way.

I have never lived through a 'real' hurricane. I have no idea what to expect. I only know that my friend's cute little beach house and the family beach house that we visited for the 4th of July will be weathering tough storms tomorrow night.

Our older daughters are not planning to evacuate...so neither are we. We are trying to decide whether to shelter in place here at home or go to the office. We live in a double wide trailer, so there is always the possibility of greater damage because of that fact. If we were in a house, it wouldn't cross our minds to leave.

We watched news broadcasts last night until late. Will and I have to be up before 6 in the mornings, and we turned on the television immediately. Even during our couple of hours at the office, we had the local news streaming on our computers as we prepared backups and the like.

Ike may not have the national impact of September 11th...but I find it interesting that exactly seven years later, here I sit, glued to the screen, trying to piece together the information so that we can make the best decisions regarding our family.

Please keep us and our area in your prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough call. I think I'd probably tend toward whichever place is farthest from the shoreline. You've got all of your supplies and backup power at home; that might be a good place to stay. Have someone fire up a guitar and do some praise/worship.

The old Mosie Lister classic comes to mind:

In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Many times Satan whispered, "There is no need to try,
For there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by"
But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise¶Where the storms never darken the skies.

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore;
In that land where the tempest, never comes, Lord, may I
Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Anonymous said...

I know you don't want to leave the girls' and I'm sure Mattt has to stay but if this thing hits like they say then ALL OF YOU need to get out. Matt doesn't need to be worrying about Kelli and Brooke. He needs to know they are safe so he can do his job. At least get out of the trailer.

Whatever you decide, I will be praying for all of you.

Rita

Fonda said...

Thanks for the prayers...and the wonderful lyrics to contemplate! We are still following the news closely and need to make a decision by noon. Will keep you updated.