Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oh, Sweet Mercy

Guess what I just read in my devotional this morning? An answer for yesterday's post! Don't you just love the mercy of God?

The scripture reference for this morning's reading was from Acts 16. In this portion of scripture it records Paul desiring to go into Asia to preach the gospel but 'having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching' he came to the border of Mysia and tried to enter 'but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.' He travels on to Troas and receives a vision instructing him to go to Macedonia.

The reading came from F. B. Meyer's work Paul, in which he says: "Beloved, whenever you are in doubt as to which way to turn, submit your judgment absolutely to the Spirit of God, asking Him to shut every door but the right one...In the meantime, continue along the path you have already been traveling...Just be careful to obey even His smallest nudging or warning. Then after you have prayed the prayer of faith and there are no apparent hindrances, go forward with a confident heart."

Sweet Merciful Father, may my heart be sensitive to Your nudges and warnings today. Should I encounter the closing of doors, may I remain faithful to follow Your open road as I await Your instruction. Thank You for hearing my heart and for providing me with encouragement for the path ahead. Amen

No comments: