Friday, August 15, 2008

Greetings From Cowtown

I am sitting in the old Hotel Texas in Fort Worth with a dear friend tonight. We arrived late last night and found a room. It is a pleasant hotel...my only negative comment would be the small bathroom, but considering the time it was built, it is to be expected.

This is my first trip to Fort Worth. We came to view the Southern Living 2008 Verona Park Idea House. I fell in love with the Idea House that was in San Antonio in 2004. I didn't see it in person...only in the magazine spread. My darling Mother-In-Law had given me a stack of Southern Living magazines when we visited her for Christmas in 2004. As we drove home, I thumbed through the August 2004 edition and I was enthralled by the Salado View home...especially the kitchen. Beautiful!!!! Even though I do not want another two story home at this stage of life, I just love so many of its features. I ripped the article from the magazine and have it filed in my 'Dream Home' binder.

So, (back to my point about today-finally)...when I found out that one of the Idea Houses would be in Texas again this year, I asked a few friends if they would like to take a road trip with me to Fort Worth. One friend had prior plans for this weekend and couldn't join us. Another had planned to come, but had some family responsibilities arise last week and had to cancel. I had complications arise myself and on Tuesday night we decided to reschedule from Friday - Sunday to Wednesday - Friday.

We didn't know it when we checked in at the Hilton Fort Worth, but we are staying at a historical place. There is a picture hanging in the bathroom that gives a little background of this place's connection to John F. Kennedy. Apparently, this is the place he and the First Lady stayed on November 21, 1963. He made a speech in the ballroom and held a press conference on the steps just before leaving in the motorcade where he would be assassinated. I doubt he stayed in our room...but, hey, I am sleeping in the same building as did a President of the United States at one time.

We went to tour the Southern Living house this afternoon. I wasn't 'enthralled' but it was nice and I got a few good ideas. (LOVED the two, count them, two laundry rooms!) I liked the refrigerator and freezer that have been faced with the cabinet look and the large, roomy stove. The back porch made me want to invite friends over to hang out and talk on a cool evening this fall. The family room had a good vibe as well.

I didn't understand the need for a full bath downstairs (right beside the master bedroom suite) when there were no other downstairs bedrooms...but hey, what do I know! I also wasn't crazy about the wall color in the master bedroom, but I could see how many people would probably like it. And what is the deal with the gilded furniture these days? I guess I am just behind the times and will probably love it this time next year after it has a chance to grow on me a little longer.

After touring the house, we headed down to the Stockyards for a late lunch and a little shopping. As always it was an adventure for us. We ate at Cattlemens Steakhouse. It was a pretty good steak...New York strip for me, rib eye for my friend. We shopped until the stores closed at 6 and then headed back Downtown to our hotel. We walked around for awhile, grabbed a quick bite at Chili's (appetizers and ice water) before heading back to the room.

Now we are sitting in our room...each with our computers, talking and typing as we get ready to turn in for the night.

Hope you are having a great night wherever you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! To be honest, I really like the DFW area. There's a tremendous amount of history and lots to do.

Don't pass up the opportunity to visit downtown Ft. Worth at night. The Ft. Worth Water Gardens is especially nifty...especially when it's hot! In the downtown area is a shopping/entertainment district that is lit up beautifully at night. Don't miss it!