Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Look At What's On My Nightstand

What's On Your Nightstand

I missed yesterday's blogging carnival over at 5 Minutes for Books. I spent most of the day with Debbie and Casy before they headed back home. So, when I got home last night I gathered up my books, put them on my nightstand and took a picture of what my nightstand would look like, if I kept all my books in one place.

As you can see, I would have very little room for anything else!

Two of these books I have just finished reading:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I just finished this classic for the very first time. I have been telling myself for years that I should begin reading the classics...but it took the prompting of the classics book club over at 5 Minutes for Books to get me started. Even though I had not read this book before, I have to confess that I knew the plot twist because I had seen the very end of the movie while surfing the channels one afternoon. I really enjoyed the book and I look forward to purposely watching the movie now that I have finished the book.

Is That All He Thinks About by Marla Taviano

I finished this book about a week ago but haven't passed it on yet. I ordered a set of Marla's books for the purpose of giving them to my two oldest daughters after reading a great review of another of her books over at Baby Bangs. Amanda is a young mother around the age of my oldest daughter and I figured that if she found them to be a blessing, my daughters would also. Kelli picked up the copy of From Blushing Bride To Wedded Wife as soon as it made it in to the office. I decided to read this one before passing it on and I must say, if I can use this information after being married for 27 years...certainly my daughters will find it useful. Marla writes in such a way as to feel like you are sitting down to coffee with a couple of close friends. She never claims to be an expert...but shares what she has discovered through research and in her experiences. This is a great read for any married woman, new bride or new grandmother like myself.

My ongoing books include:

Streams In The Desert by L. B. Cowman

This is my devotional for this year. I wish I could say I haven't missed a single day...but that would be a lie. To be honest, I stood in the Barnes and Noble aisle at the end of 2007 and just asked the Lord to open my eyes to the right devotional. Although our immediate family has not been in the desert thus far in 2008...this book has helped immensely in our part of Casy's journey through the desert of cancer. There was no way that I could have known that I would need the encouragement found in these pages when I 'selected' it last December. To God be the glory!

Eat This Book: A Conversation In The Art Of Spiritual Reading by Eugene Peterson

I have tried to read this book two or three times, but just can't seem to get into it. I think I need to move it from beside my bed (this one was actually on the nightstand) to a place where I can read with focus. I picked up this book after seeing it listed among the favorite books of one of the Bible study teachers I adore. I found the first chapter to be powerful...but I can't stay awake long enough to get any further. Maybe I need to pick up the study guide that goes along with it so that I can retain what I am reading.

I just started:

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis

Years ago, the kids and I read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe during our bedtime routine. When Brian was in middle school, he was required to read for 20 minutes every day and requested the complete series -- so I picked up this all in one volume. I wanted to catch up on this series before I saw the next movie, Prince Caspian, which came out in May. Since I didn't make it, I haven't seen the movie yet. We finally located our copy in the boxes of unpacked books a few weeks back and I began reading the next two books last night. I will wait for the video release and hopefully, will have finished The Horse And His Boy and Prince Caspian by that time.

The following are on my 'to read' list:

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

This will be my first Dean Koontz novel and honestly, I only picked it up after reading a review in a magazine.

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I picked this book up after reading about it over at A Chelsea Morning. Barb highly recommended it, so I picked it up during my next visit to Target...and evidently, the next time I found myself in Barnes and Noble I bought yet another one. I realized this when I started gathering books last night for the picture and found one on my dresser (B&N) and one on my bookshelf (Target). I will let you know if it was worth paying for twice!

No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols by Kelly Minter

I made a special trip to Barnes and Noble a few weeks back to pick up this book as there was only one left in stock. I heard about it on the Living Proof Ministries blog. What I didn't realize at the time is there are two books, a book and a workbook. I think I really need the workbook instead of the book. I am pretty sure that I need to 'work through' this one and not just read it. So, it looks like I will have to make a special trip to Lifeway to get the workbook. I hate being so far from Lifeway now!

And finally,

Prioritize Organize: The Art of Getting It Done by Peg Pickering

I attended a business conference a few months back regarding Texas Sales Tax and thought I probably really needed this information. So far, all of it's information has remained inside the covers of this book. I will get to it...probably the next time I feel overwhelmed by life!

Well, that is 'What's On My Nightstand' at the end of August. With the upcoming wedding and the beginning of football season, I doubt I will finish them all by September. If I do, I will let you know!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

You have a lot of awesome reads on your nightstand. I'm glad you participated with us this month! I look forward to coming back to see what you accomplished reading next month. (I LOVE Narnia.)

Lindsay said...

What a great stack you have there. I thinking that is really neat that you are going to give your girls those books by Marla. I think I need to pick up Is that All he Thinks About.. sounds like a very good book :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds really interesting! You have a great stack.

Anonymous said...

It is so weird that you are blogging about this. I've been in such a quagmire about reading more spiritual books and the classics. I feel this is what God is wanting me to do. I've started a Bible study with a couple of friends and after reading your blog, I just made up my mind about going to another Bible study at my church. I waited so late(it starts next Wednesday) to decide, that the book cost me $22 instead of $16but I think it will be worth it. I feel real good right now. Like this is where I need to be. Thanks for giving me that extra push without even knowing it.

Love you.
Rita

August said...

Jane Austen is one of my favorites and read all of her books that's been published. I just love reading her books.

I used to read Dean Koontz, mostly his scary books when I was in my "Stephen King" phase. The Good Guy sounds like a good read.