Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This Soup Was A Big Hit


I know I promised pictures today...but I ran out of the house without my memory card. I will try to post tomorrow. Instead you get tomorrow's post a day early. Isn't that a thrill!

I have always loved Olive Garden's Soup, Salad and Breadsticks with Zuppa Tuscana for my soup. I found this recipe last winter and it has quickly become a family favorite. We had this on Sunday night before decorating the tree and I think each of the boys (Jim, Brian, Will and Derrick) had at least two bowls...maybe three.


Sausage and Kale Soup
1 pound of mild Italian sausage
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large bunch kale, with center ribs removed
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 pounds of unpeeled small potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
2 quarts chicken broth
salt, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
pinch of dried thyme flakes
1 cup cream
Crumble and brown sausage until no longer pink, then drain well. Set aside.
In large soup pot, fry onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly. Add broth, beans and sausage to pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
Cut kale into medium shred and add with potatoes. Add thyme, salt and red pepper flakes. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add cream just before serving. NOTE: Do not boil after adding cream or it will curdle!
Serve with salad and french bread...sit back and enjoy!

A few hints:
1. I use the potato masher while cooking the sausage to make sure it breaks into small crumbles. I saw Rachael Ray do this a few weeks ago and it works great for chili and such.
2. My sister's complaint with most recipes is that she cannot find the 'specialty' items in her small town grocery store that I often take for granted. So, if you can't find cannellini beans, use great northern beans instead. They taste just as good.
3. In case you have never used kale before, it is with the cabbage in your produce department. I swear, it doesn't taste like cabbage...but it is in the cabbage family. If you can't find kale, I have heard that spinach will work as well.
4. I know it says to use mild Italian sausage, but since I double the recipe, I mix mild and hot.
5. Don't break the "no boil" rule after you add the cream...you will end up with a huge mess that you can't eat! I actually add the cream AFTER I have turned off the burner under the soup.
6. My two boys HATE onions...but they never taste them in this recipe. The onions honestly cook to nothing by the time the soup is ready to serve.

No comments: