Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thankfulness: Day 5

"Be still, and know that I am God!"
Psalm 46:10a

As I contemplated my busy day yesterday, I thought and thought about what I was most thankful for.  The moment that kept coming to mind was my Morning Quiet Time.  Most mornings, I make a pot of coffee, grab a cup and head off to 'my chair' with devotional, journal and pen.  

This thirty minute (or so) span of time grounds my day like nothing else.  And yet, it is also the first thing to go when I get busy, travel or we have guests come to visit.  I wish that were not so...but I wanted to be honest with you about my tendencies to 'not do the very thing I wish to do'.  

As I find myself surrounded by younger women in their child-raising years these days (namely my daughters and the girls at the office), I was reminded of how 'Morning Quiet Time' used to be just a dream.  A goal I aspired to during my own child-raising years.  

I now find myself in a different season of life and I am thankful that I have been able to achieve that goal on more mornings than not in 2013.  I am thankful for a husband who is a night-owl to my morning-lark...ensuring that 19 out of every 20 mornings I have time to sit long without any distractions.  And I am thankful that the Lord hears the cries of our hearts and that He doesn't forget.  During the toddler years, I remember crying some mornings just wanting time to go the bathroom by myself.  During these grandma years I am going to remember to enjoy the quiet...and the time.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My quiet time is at work. I'm usually the first person here for about 30-45 minutes each morning. But like you it is usually the first thing to go when life gets chaotic.

Rita