Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finally!!! South Africa Pictures!!!

But just a few to begin. Gotcha!!!

Seriously though, I am trying to put this together day by day like I do most of my travels, but we took SSSSOOOO MANY pictures it is hard to sort them out.

On Friday, May 13th, we arrived in South Africa after a very long but, thankfully, uneventful flight.  We breezed through Johannesburg's OR Tambo Airport (guns and all).  I have never been through an easier security check.  You kind of forget that the rest of the world isn't under the same threat as we are.  Basically we were asked if we were carrying any sharp objects and then walked through a metal detector.  This was harder for Jim than myself because of his change, and then his Skoal can, and then his belt...but you get the picture!

We flew on to Polokwane/Pietersburg Airport where we met up with our Professional Hunter, Arno.  By now it had been 24 hours since we left our New York hotel room.  We left NY on Thursday morning and  arrived in South Africa on a Friday afternoon.  But even stranger is the fact that we left summer in Texas to enter fall in South Africa.  Crazy, I tell you!!!

But, oh my, was Sand River Hills game ranch ever beautiful!
The pool.  It was a little too chilly to use...but I did enjoy a quiet afternoon sitting out beside it with a good book!
In the distance is the game ranch, or the bush, as they call it.  Amazing place!
And here is a picture of the main lodge with the fire pit.  If you are my friend on Facebook then you know that I already have my order in to Jim for one of these!!!

After a delicious meal prepared by Miss Amanda, South African Chef Extraordinaire, we turned in for a much needed night's sleep.  Morning hunt would start a little slower so we could sleep a little longer -- like until 6 a.m.  I'll have more pictures tomorrow.  Right now it is about time to go home!

1 comment:

Allen and Rita Smith said...

Can I borrow Jim when he finishes your pit? ha ha. Jim did good in finding you a luxurious place to stay. You have taught him well in the last 30 years.