Friday, June 29, 2012

Goodbye, Nora

I read a blog on Wednesday morning that mentioned the passing of Nora Ephron; author, screenwriter, director, playwright (etc., etc.) and it made me a little sad.

The first thing that came to my mind was the evening Robin, Stacy and I spent in New York City at the play she co-wrote with her sister; Love, Loss and What I Wore.  Remember?  We got to meet the lovely Robin Strasser afterwards.

Next I thought about how much I enjoyed her book I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman which I read back in May of 2010

But then, I began seeing people commenting on their favorite Nora Ephron films (whether as screenwriter, producer or director) and I realized just how many of them I have seen.  Twelve of the fifteen as noted on Wikipedia.  From Silkwood to Julie and Julia...I have only missed Cookie, This Is My Life and All I Wanna Do.  (One of those looks awfully familiar, but I am not sure.)  My favorite Nora Ephron film?  Not the usual, When Harry Met Sally.  Nor Sleepless In Seattle.  Not even You've Got Mail.  (Though that may be my second favorite.)  My all time favorite Nora Ephron film is Hanging Up with Meg Ryan, Diane Keaton, Lisa Kudrow and Walter Matthau.  I wanted to slap some compassion into Georgia, shake self-indulgent Maddy until she could see beyond herself, and hire a therapist for codependant Eve, who set herself up for the responsibility that is now draining her.  I loved, loved, LOVED this movie.  And I still watch it every time I run across it on cable television.  And I still cry!  Every. Single. Time. 

RIP, Nora.  Thanks for the memories that your work has sown into my life. 

No comments: