Tuesday, December 18, 2007

We're Back

...and my, oh my, did we have quite the time! I wanted to post pictures of the bounty we collected, but I seem to have misplaced the camera. I really need to find it before Christmas!

Jim, Will and I made the long trek to the deer lease last Friday. We left about an hour behind schedule because I couldn't locate my hunting license. This is a big deal when you are paying for out of state licenses. I finally gave up and convinced Jim that we just needed to leave...we were 'burning daylight' as they say. I called the number on the back of his license and they asked me for my drivers license number. When I reached in my wallet to get them out...lo and behold, there were my hunting license. Jim got a good chuckle out of me not even getting to finish my sentence with the lady at the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission.

We arrived too late on Friday to get any time on the deer stands. Saturday morning we awoke to a heavy rain. Even though it kept us from getting out as early as we had planned, we couldn't waste time waiting for it to stop. Evidently the deer were wise enough to stay laid up in the thickets during the rainstorm. Will and I spent most of our time watching a hawk that perched in a tree near us. He didn't seem to be in any hurry to get anywhere either.

The rain cleared out around lunch, but it had ushered in a cold front with high winds. I sat on the stand that evening trying not to freeze to death. Nothing was moving around me...not even a rabbit or a squirrel. All I heard was falling limbs as the wind gusts came through. Just before dark I finally had a little activity...but Will was the big winner that day. He had gone with his Pappaw to a stand not far from their house. He knocked down a nice one at 110 pounds.

On the way out to the stands the next morning we got stuck in a mud hole that had been passable the night before. All three of us walked back into the woods together (thank goodness for my two guys! Jim carried my rifle and Will carried my bag!) and found a couple of nice bucks feeding. At 200+ yards it was too far for me to try my hand, but Jim took a 5 point. That evening Will and I both landed one. He still beat me by about 5 pounds on his second one.

So, even though we only had 2 days to do a whole season's worth of hunting...we brought home 4 for the freezers. I say freezers plural because the older two offspring have already put in their orders for some ground venison to make their chili, tacos and spaghetti. If I find the camera anytime soon I will post Will's picture with his prize.

Love to all...and a huge thanks to Daddy & Donna for providing us with another successful hunt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud and happy you have brought home your deers this year. I know hunting is one of your passions and the desire to set in the woods watching... just makes me so happy for you.
Congrads to hunters chili sounds good.
Love you.