Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Fresh Face

I have been away from the computer for a little while now. I didn't exactly mean to take a blogging break...but it happened. Our internet service at home went out last Wednesday and we didn't get it up and running again until last night. I had tons of emails to wade through before I could get back to the blog.

And speaking of my blog, how do you like my new banner? A dear friend of mine, August, created it for me! (You can read her blog by clicking on her name in my sidebar.) I love it! I think it represents my 'simple', 'rural' style. I don't know what it is about the color brown that draws me in...but it does. I have collected quite the wardrobe in shades of brown over the past couple of years. At one point in my life I owned mostly red tops. Then I went through a very long black/white period. (I still have a lot of black.) Now the clothing items that seem to call to me are mostly brown. I had to force myself to buy some blouses for work in 'colors' the last time I went shopping.

I don't know why I felt the need to tell you all of that.

It does remind me of a time several years ago sitting in a women's social where a woman was speaking on the temperaments. (Choleric, Melancholy, Sanguine and Phlegmatic) I honestly had no idea which was my temperment/personality type. As the speaker was explaining the types, she made a comment to the effect that the melancholy personality would most likely wear khaki or black. All eyes turned to me as I sat there in my khaki colored t-shirt with khaki and white plaid skirt! I had to laugh at myself...as did all my friends sitting around me...there was to be no more denying my personality type after that night.

I had really hoped that one day I would grow into a 'life of the party sanguine' or a 'got it all together choleric'. I knew I could never be a peaceful phlegmatic...I could never live up to Jim's easy going self. He makes everyone he meets feel at ease. And talk about a man who extends grace...I know that is what drew my heart to him. He may have never taught a Sunday School class, but he has taught me so much about how to apply the Word of God to my life. (I wish I always appreciated it like I should instead of stomping my foot like a tempermental child.)

I, however, am Eeyore. I still tend to be too introspective. (Remember, my friends all used the word 'serious' to describe me?) I sometimes see too many mountains and want to give up on the journey. But I am also a pretty good listener who wants to encourage those who are in need of a shoulder. I was born with a desire to learn and to grow.

I am who the Good Lord made me to be. And I think August did a good job of capturing that in the new banner. Brown representing my melancholy personality. The beautiful font makes me think of a good book. The simple, yet welcoming flowers invite you in for a visit. Thank you, August. I love the new design!

Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

3 comments:

August said...

You are very welcome my dear friend. I'm glad you like it!

Doug said...

No problem. I can certainly relate to suddenly noticing that days have gone by since the last post!

Brenda said...

Awesome
Love to All