Friday, September 18, 2009

The Lady And The Prince

Welcome to Wednesday in New York City! We were told to expect rain, but thankfully, it never appeared.

We began our day catching the Staten Island Ferry for a ride across the East River. Robin snapped this picutre of the two of us as we were waiting for the next ferry to arrive.
It is the first thing we have done in Manhattan (other than our walk through Central Park in the snow last February) that was absolutely FREE!
We rode across on a ferry that looked just like this one. (We passed this one on our way back to Manhattan.)
We saw Ellis Island and the the Statue of Liberty from our perch on the first deck.
Such a Grand Lady. Isn't she beautiful? On my previous two trips to New York, the weather was in the negative digits...so there was no way I was going to get on a boat. We had to settle for pictures of her from the Brooklyn Bridge and the Top of the Rock.
A dream come true. See her standing over my left shoulder?

After returning to Manhattan, Robin and I strolled down Wall Street. Robin tried to get a picture of the bull, but there were so many people trying to take a picture with his famous mug...and a few taking pictures from behind. (You might really be surprised at what some people will do for a picture. First the gorilla at Tavern...and now the Wall Street bull! Come on people, have a little class.) We walked through City Hall Park and saw this beautiful fountain.
We stopped in SoHo for lunch and then caught a taxi back to our hotel for a little siesta!

Wednesday evening Robin surprised me with an elegant dinner at a former speakeasy, now a place where you may dine alongside a politician, a journalist or even the head of a major publishing house. The 21 Club, with it's row of jockeys along the outside, was everything I imagined. The service was superb. The pork chop was huge! I couldn't eat even half of it. The dark paneled walls and cozy rooms spoke of its past club-like atmosphere.
After dinner, we returned to the hotel to change into comfortable shoes and take in some more sights. As we walked through the theatre district, we noticed that Phantom of the Opera was just releasing. Thinking that Hamlet must be about the same length...we decided to check out the small crowd that was gathering at the stage door.
Sure enough, about 30 minutes later, the place was packed and Jude Law made his appearance. "To be or not to be, that is the question" for Hamlet, Prince of Denmark. All I can say is "Cute, cute, cute!"
I never expected to see so many 'stars' among the bright lights of the big city!

I bet you are dying to find out who we saw on Thursday! All I am going to say is, it is worth the wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read the next blog!! The anticipation is killing me.

Britt will be finishing up school in December, then I will have to buy a frig, washer and dryer and a dishwasher. Once I do all of that, I'm going to start saving some money so I can go to D.C., open me a blog account so I can blog to you about it.

Rita

Brenda said...

Oh girl, Robin is great! I just love her surprises and your updates...sounds so grand!!

I hear Rita I know how that goes need washer,dryer. oven and a disherwasher not in that order...
Keep Painting the town red.