Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Making Do

We're back!

Actually we got home on Sunday afternoon...but, I have been trying to play catch-up at work so I haven't been on the World Wide Web much.

We had a great family vacation in which everyone was able to partake.  Not all of us at once...but all of us at one point and time, at least. 

We ate and swam and fished and ate and skied and ate and played pool and ate and watched Harry Potter movies and ate some more.

I prided myself on not leaving the lake house from the time that Jim and I got back with TWO shopping carts worth of food from Wal-Mart until we checked out on Sunday morning.  (We were feeding anywhere from 10-17 people a day!)  The rest of the crew took turns making daily trips to Wal-Mart...but I managed to stay put for the whole week!  (We went through 6 gallons of milk in 6 days!  That's a lot of Wal-Mart trips!)

I know I told you that I would try to post pictures while we were gone, but the wi-fi wasn't working while we were there so I didn't get the chance.  I will try to do so later this week...as soon as I find my cameras!  Ha!

After doing all of that shopping for the lake house, I am trying NOT to go to the grocery store at all this week!  So, last night I had to get quite creative in making dinner.  But it turned out so good that I wanted to share my recipe for last night's 'make do' dinner!  (Yes, Robin, you can quit reading now!  The rest is just a recipe!)  {Wink & Grin!!!}

Taco Pasta Bake
2 pounds of ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound of rotini pasta (I used the tri-colored)
2 packages taco seasoning
1 1/3 cup water
1 small can of green chilies
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
1 cup of grated Monterrey Jack cheese
Sliced black olives
Sour cream
Guacamole

Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet.  While beef is browning, cook pasta according to package directions. 

Once beef is browned, drain any remaining fat.  Add taco seasoning, water and green chilies.  Let cook down but not dry. 

Drain pasta and return to pot.  Stir beef mixture into pasta and fold in 2 cups of cheese. 

Spray casserole dish with Pam.  Transfer pasta and beef mixture to casserole dish.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Top casserole with slice black olives and let stand for 5 minutes.  Serve with sour cream and guacamole garnishes, as desired.

Jim said I should have used the leftover cheese dip instead of the shredded cheese...and he could be right.  All I know is that we had very little left over and not one person complained about our 'make do' dinner.  Tonight we are having honey garlic pork chops.  Sounds good, right?

3 comments:

Robin said...

thanks for the warning :) but I did enjoy the first part of the pot...lol

Anonymous said...

You're becoming a regular Paula Deen.

Rita

Robin said...

i meant post....lol...i guess i was thinking about your recipe and used the word pot instead...lol