Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Books And Movies

Meagan, Bri and I went to see a movie on Saturday night. Kelli was unable to get away. We went to see 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'. I had watched a preview for the movie back before Christmas and thought it looked like a good Chick Flick for Girls Night. Since I had been seeing the book on the shelves for a couple of years, I decided to read it before the movie came out.

Books and movies are a strange combination. Oftentimes I prefer the book over the movie. Occasionally I enjoy the movie more (usually because it helps me visualize something that escaped me during the reading). For instance, in the Chronicles of Narnia series...'The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe' - by far the book was best; 'Prince Caspian' - the movie was easier to follow. Many movies lose some of the storyline from the books - like the Harry Potter movies, so much more in the books!

I remember watching the movie version of 'Little Women' with Meagan when she was in middle school. She explained the things that the movie left out as we watched...and I couldn't wait to read the book afterwards.

That is the normal progress of books to movies...but not 'Confessions'.

Honestly, about the only thing that was the same was the plot line of a journalist in debt! The setting, the characters, the circumstances...it was all different from the book. Don't get me wrong, the movie was fun...as was the book. Neither would be classified as deep, but then sometimes you just want a "easy" read to get lost in for a few hours of escape.

Having said that, I think I am going to head off to bed with my next installment of the Chronicles of Narnia. I am up to 'The Silver Chair'. I am not feeling 'Boundaries With Teens' tonight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My newest read is a parenting book from my mother in law... they don't make those in cliff notes or movies. I still haven't found the James Dobson book at half price books.