Monday, March 16, 2009

A Few Quotes To Remember

Last night I began the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia series, "The Last Battle". Before I get too far into it, I wanted to record my favorite quotes from the last two books.

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"
"But do they dare to talk about you like that?" said Lucy. "They seemed to be so afraid of you yesterday. Don't they know you might be listening?"

"That's one of the funny things about the Duffers," said the Magician. "One minute they talk as if I ran everything and overheard everything and was extremely dangerous. The next they think they can take me in by tricks that a baby would see through - bless them!"

"The Silver Chair"
"...Prince Rilian was talking over the whole adventure with the older and wiser Beasts and Dwarfs. And now they all saw what it meant; how a wicked Witch (doubtless the same kind as that White Witch who had brought the Great Winter on Narnia long ago)had contrived the whole thing, first killing Rilian's mother and enchanting Rilian himself. And they saw how she had dug right under Narnia and was going to break out and rule it through Rilian: and how he had never dreamed that the country of which she would make him king (king in name, but really her slave) was his own country."

I didn't really get into Prince Caspian in print...but I loved the movie. A rare occurrence for me.

So, why these quotes?

The first one really caused my breath to catch in my throat upon first reading it. I went back to it over and over again. It reminded me of myself and my relationship with God. I tend to be much like the Duffers, talking of how He sees and knows everything, even what I only think in my heart...yet, when I want to do things my way and I know they are not his way? Well, I make excuses for myself or try to hide it behind tricks that even a small child could see through!

The quote from The Silver Chair reminds me of how I have already been given a wonderful inheritance through faith in Christ Jesus...and yet, I often look elsewhere to have my wants (I will not even try to fool you with the word 'needs') met in places that promise me the things I already possess and could never, ever deliver the riches that the Lord has laid up for me.

Children's literature that speaks to my soul...what a wonderful combination. I look forward to wrapping up the series with The Last Battle. And yet, at the same time I hate for it to come to an end.

Thanks for letting me share!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

It is very interesting how some times we can be so aware of the Lord hearing us and then other times - well, ah, not so! I am trying to work on that! Always with the mind set that He is right beside me!