Monday, March 9, 2009

A Family Favorite

Sunday afternoon, Bri, Jessica and I spent some time in the kitchen while the guys were outside working on the siding. Bri took care of the spaghetti, Jessica put together the salad and I made the pies. I made Bri's favorite: Chocolate Pie.

Now, in my family you can't serve just any old chocolate pie. You see, my Grandma J. made the most amazing chocolate pies (and banana puddings and homemade biscuits with chocolate syrup). Rich and decadent, made from scratch and never from a recipe...she mixed up the ingredients according to feel.

After moving 400 miles away from my family, I stumbled upon a 'truck stop' chocolate pie recipe. It comes from an Arkansas community cookbook that I had received as a gift. It may not be Grandma's chocolate pie...but it is awfully close.

Now if only I could find something close to Grandma F.'s chocolate peanut butter frosting. MMMMM!

Chocolate Pie
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons cocoa
Dash of salt
3 egg yolks
1-1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
pie crust, homemade or frozen: prebaked

In saucepan, mix sugar and flour together. Add cocoa and salt. Mix well.

Add small amount of milk to dissolve lumps. Add egg yolks, rest of milk and margarine.

Cook over medium heat stirring often to prevent lumping. Add vanilla.

Pour into prebaked pie crust. Top with meringue. Bake until meringue is browned.

Meringue
3 egg whites beaten until stiff peak forms. Add 6 Tablespoons of sugar. Beat until sugar is no absorbed into egg whites.

Happy eating, ya'll!

5 comments:

August said...

This recipe sounds so yummy! I still have your Mississippi Mud Pie recipe and still one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I haven't thought about Grandma's peanut butter fudge frosting in forever. I will see if mom remembers how she made it. I do have Allen's grandmothers Chocolate Pie recipe. I will send it to you, as I'm sure all of your friends and family will send you their favorites. You will have so many pie recipes you won't know what to do with them. It is similiar to your grandmothers but has a few differences that may make all the difference in the world. You use the same recipe for her coconut pie just leave out the chocolate and add coconut. I would like her biscuit recipe. I have all of Grandma Ruby's recipes. I will have to find the one for her pound cake. Talk about good.

Rita

Anonymous said...

My dear niece, if you find a recipe that is just close to Mama's peanut butter chocolate frosting, I want it!

Love ya'll
Aunt Fran

Fonda said...

Shucks, I was hoping one of you knew how to make it! I can almost taste it now...and it is making me HUNGRY!

Stacy said...

All of this is NOT fair - now I want some!