Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cowboys, Cowboys...And A Weekend of Bull(s)

As I mentioned on Sunday, Jim and I spent this past weekend in San Antonio with friends. We were there to watch the Professional Bull Riders at the AT&T Center.

We arrived on Friday evening and spent some time on the Riverwalk. I thought we were in a recession, but you sure couldn't tell it by the mass of humanity that crowded the walkways! Jim has not been a fan of San Antonio since he did work out there years ago...but I think the Riverwalk may have changed his mind. San Antonio is well suited for walking to dinner and entertainment from your hotel room.

After dinner at Cafe Ole (with Mariachi's to boot), we headed over to Durty Nelly's Pub. They had a piano bar atmosphere complete with Irish and Texas sing-alongs. It was a blast! I blew Jim's mind when I sang along to every word of "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" by David Allen Coe. He looked at Robin and said, "I don't even know her." ha! I do still have a few mysteries left after all these years.

Saturday morning we went to Tacos, Tacos for breakfast. Albert had seen it on the Food Network's 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' with Guy Fieri. The sign out front proclaimed this little hole in the wall restaurant to serve "The World's Best Tacos". That is setting the bar rather high if you ask me. I am afraid that it didn't quite meet it's expectations...but it was good.

After breakfast we headed out to the Boots and Hat Outlet to pick up some jeans for Jim. (I had purchased some before we left town, but I picked up the wrong style. Oops!) We chose Boots and Hat Outlet because they were having an autograph session with Guilherme Marchi and Robson Palermo. We had already met Palermo at the hotel as we were leaving for breakfast and had a picture made with him...but Stacy wanted to get Guilherme's autograph as well.

We then headed back to the hotel to get ready for the Built Ford Tough Series of the PBR. Upon arriving at the arena, we had pictures made with Wiley Peterson and a few other cowboys before the event began. I was so impressed with how accessible these cowboys are to their fans. I was also impressed with how polite most of the fans were, not only with the cowboys, but also with each other.

We watched an exciting night of bull riding...even though the bulls won that evening. Afterwards we went down to the arena (thanks to having PBR fan club members as friends) and had pictures made with several of the bull riders while Stacy got lots of autographs. Then we hung out at the hotel and retired for the evening. I knew that Sunday would be a busy day.

(Jim and I in our TERRIFIC seats...right in amongst the action!)

Sunday we had to be at the arena earlier than on Saturday. We had breakfast at the hotel and us girls got ready while the boys ran an errand. Sunday's event turned into a real thriller. The good kind...and the bad kind. Stacy was on national television as the Pizza Hut Fan of the Night with her favorite bull rider J B Mauney. (that was the good thrill) But one of the bull riders we had our picture made with the night before, Matt Bohan, was carried out of the arena on a stretcher. It wasn't until Monday evening that we found out he was going to be okay. (that was the bad kind) (Stacy, Albert, Jim and myself...Robin is taking the picture.)
(Jim's favorites of the weekend...Cody Lambert's horse , in the background, and Flint, the greatest entertainer in the world.)
Before the event, we met McKennon Wimberly (again) and had our pictures made. He was such a sweetheart. So polite...and my only autograph of the weekend. (I am not a autograph hound.) Jim gave me a hard time about having pictures made with all the cowboys...
...so he and Albert had their picture made with Leah Garcia. Look at these cowboys! I am rather partial to the one on the left myself!

After the bull riding, we went to Midnight Rodeo and did a little dancing. The place was so quiet! They said it was hopping on Friday and Saturday night...but there were only a hand full of people there. But we had fun on our own anyway!

Monday, we stopped for breakfast at Mi Tierra and then headed home.

It was a good weekend, filled with fun, food, friends and cowboys!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

It was a BLAST of a weekend - can't wait to go again! Think you guys will sign up to be in the fan club???? :)

Anonymous said...

It looks like the four of you had the time of your lives over the weekend. I think I like the bulls more than the cowboys. I would love to own a ranch that raised bulls for the PBR.

Rita