Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Week In The Life: Day 4, Wednesday

Cinco de Mayo
May 5, 2010
Wednesday was a 'Rise and Shine' day. There was much on the schedule and many miles to be covered before returning home. I had to leave earlier than normal for an appointment. It was a foggy ride in to the city. (The pictures don't do it justice...but believe me, there were a few times I could barely see three feet in front of my truck.)
Monday I captured a highway scene from my commute. Tuesday was a rural scene...Wednesday, the dreaded city scene.
That is three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic, my friends. I truly believe that this is currently the WORST commute in Houston. Thankfully, my exit is the first one past the sea of brake lights!

My early morning appointment was here at the Harris County Courthouse. Not a traffic ticket, thank goodness...but a small claims case against a client who never finished paying for his fire sprinkler system. It was the first of what will be several trips to default hearings over the next couple of months.

Just in case you have been living on Mars for the past couple years...we are in a recession, even here in Texas which has been moderately protected thus far.

After the hearing, it was a busy day of cleaning out my inbox at the office. I had been swamped with special projects for a couple of weeks so there were a lot of 'Important' but not 'Urgent' things that needed to be taken care of.

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I picked up some lunch at Taco Cabana and ate at my desk while I coded invoices and filed papers. After lunch our sign man showed up to apply the decals to the new truck.
Looking good!

I had hoped to leave the office early to get ready for an evening gathering at our house, but it didn't work out as I had planned. I needed to get our Service Technician in his new truck and oversee his tutorial on his new equipment before leaving.

I stopped by Kroger on the way home for some party supplies. Queso and Tres Leches are requirements for a proper Cinco de Mayo celebration, you know!

Meagan and Davin were already at the house when I arrived. Most of our other guests, the Lozano family and Brian, arrived shortly after me.

See this crew getting their Mexican grub on?

Appetizers: Cream cheese with jalapeno jelly and crackers or chips and guacamole


Meal: Tortilla soup, enchiladas, tamales, queso, and charra beans


Dessert: Tres Leches cake and assorted cookies (coconut, mango, pineapple, and dulce de leche flavored)



While we filled our stomachs with the good food...Davin was four wheelin' in the backyard's lone mud puddle. He is his grandfather's grandson!


After dinner, Jim and Davin took Albert and Charley for a ride in the Polaris to burn the trash. Davin insisted on driving.


WE had a few latecomers to the party, including these two. Bri had to work and didn't get home until later. Josh joined us soon afterwards.

Derrick came even later...but still in time to eat.
Finally, here is the one picture of me so far this week. (I am REALLY BAD at self-photography!) Bri snapped this picture of Will and I as we were all sitting on the deck visiting after dinner.

It was a treat to spend time with family and friends to celebrate a holiday I never even knew existed before moving to Texas. We missed Kelli and the family, a lot...but Maddux is suffering with his asthma again and Kelli needed some rest.
We had overnight guests of Meagan, Davin and Brian...so the party lasted late into the night. Meagan and Davin were staying over rather than driving back this morning to take care of her weekly maid service for me. Brian decided to just stay and go to work from our house this morning. I happily threw his clothes in the washer and stayed up until they could make it to the dryer. I think I crawled in bed sometime between 1 and 2 AM! I will be going home early today (Thursday) and left overs are definitely tonight's menu. Thank goodness, my house will be spotless when I get there!
Did you celebrate Cinco de Mayo yesterday? How?
(A funny note: I received a phone call from SE Arkansas yesterday around noon wishing me 'Happy Cinco de Mayo'! Debbie and Casy were here to celebrate with us last year due to a doctor's visit and she remembered. I think they were having tacos last night in honor of their 'new holiday'! I'm telling you, Texas has a way of getting in the blood.)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

It was a really fun night! Great food and company!!!

and yes, TX does have a way of getting into your blood - that is why we are still here - right - what 23 years now - wow!