Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Think My iPod Has Mulitple Personality Disorder

I was over at Bigmama's blog reading the other day and she asked for some help in putting together some new workout music for her iPod. This, of course, peaked my interest since I had spent about an hour the day before searching the Internet for a list of motivational workout music myself. After reading through about one hundred and forty comments, I headed over to iTunes to download a few of the songs that I did not already have on my new iTouch. (BTW, I had no idea how much I would L.O.V.E. an iPod until I started using one! Can't live without it now. It has my calendar, my to-do lists, everything I need in one place!)

Well, I sure hope Bigmama was getting a commission from iTunes for all those downloads! I went for four, maybe five songs...when one hour later and $50 poorer, I logged off with those five songs plus "Now, That's What I Call Music: 80's" the collection!

As I started putting together my workout playlists for my next day's gym visit, I began to realize the total randomness of my music choices. As I browsed through my music library, it dawned on me that if I were ever to lose this iPod and someone found it...they would have no clue as to the music preference of the person who owned it! Maybe it was owned by Sybil. I don't remember ever actually watching that movie...but I must have seen parts of it or heard enough about it that it registers in my mind. (My mother loves this kind of movie -- she is a Lifetime fanatic!)

In case you are too young to remember, the movie is about a woman who has 13 different personalities. Well, I don't know about 13 but my iPod has at least 5.

There are eleven different genres of music on there, 220 artists, 81 albums and 676 songs. One reason I have so many different artists is because I love the mixed CD's, like the annual WOW and NOW collections.

I decided to do a test. I set the iPod to 'all songs' and hit shuffle. These are what played:

"Hurt Don't Know When To Quit" by Rissi Palmer (If you like Country music - Rissi's CD is WONDERFUL!)

"Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer (Blues - from his Live album)

"Celebration" by Kool and the Gang (80's)

"As the Deer" by Salvador (Worship)

"Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Southern Rock)

"Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns (Inspirational/Contemporary Christian)

"Mary Had a Little Lamb" by Stevie Ray Vaughan (Texas Blues)

"Comin' Home Baby" by Michael Buble (Jazz)

"Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry (Pop)

"The Rockafeller Skank" by Fatboy Slim (Electronic)

"War Machine" by AC/DC (Rock - from the new album, Black Ice)

"In the Ayer" by Flo Rida (Hip Hop/Rap - tell me this one will not getting you to moving?)

"Irreplaceable" by Beyonce (R&B/Soul -- 'to the left, to the left, everything you own in the box to the left' -- I love a strong woman and this song drives Jim crazy!)

My #1 played song is "Johnny and June" by Heidi Newfield, followed closely by George Strait's "Troubadour".

The #1 played album would probably be Toby Mac's "Portable Sounds"...and Gospel/Religious would definitely be the top played genre.

Most of the Worship and Christian music is from my CD collection. It is the reason I bought the iPod to begin with. I have a six CD player in my car and when I take one out, I tend to lose it. (I think I have purchased Mercy Me's "Almost There" CD three times over the years!) Most of the Country music came from a combined collection of CDs from Brianne, Jim and myself. The Rock comes mostly from Jim and myself...mine being the 'old school' stuff, his the newer AC/DC, Kid Rock, etc. The others are mostly individual downloads from iTunes, just because I heard it and I liked it.

I'm sure I do not have the most eclectic mix of music of every iPod in America...but I think I do pretty good at keeping up with the new while staying true to my roots!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my goals... to create a good playlist for when I can hit the gym again... I know it sounds cheesy but I need to give you my Britney Spears cds, now that will make you want to move! and the newest Beyonce

August said...

I have been reading Big Mama's for awhile now... I enjoy reading her blog as well.