Sunday, January 4, 2009

What a Holiday

The holidays are officially over. Tomorrow morning we are back at the office for a regular workweek (and probably lots of phone calls as everyone gets back into their offices). Tuesday the boys go back to school. And our last visitor, our nephew Casey, flew out this afternoon.

We had a wonderful Christmas and a quiet New Years. Christmas Eve we had the married children and the grand babies over for a late brunch followed by shrimp etouffee and presents that evening. With thirteen people opening gifts at once, it was WILD in our living room. The little ones loved their four wheelers (one pink and the other green). I spend my time watching all of them and open mine last. What a surprise to find a blue Tiffany's box at the bottom of my stocking. I was even more surprised to open it and not see silver jewelry, but silver keys instead. My darling husband gifted me with a Polaris Ranger for use around the house and on the deer lease. Finally, something that I can drive! And I never had an inkling of what the gift was! He is good!

Christmas Day we slept in for the first time ever! Later that evening we had friends over for more etouffee and seafood gumbo. We played Taboo well into the night and enjoyed a nice, long visit.

Friday morning we headed north to visit with Jim's parents. It was a quick trip...driving there on Friday and back on Sunday. We had a great time with his folks and his brother, sister-in-law and family. It is always a great joy to see how our children fall right in with one another even though they only see each other once a year. Our nephew came home with us to spend the week with Will.

We shot fireworks the night before New Year's Eve. The weather was perfect for it. It wasn't planned, but as we sat around a bonfire talking...the boys decided they wanted go get fireworks right then. New Year's Eve we sat around the fire after enjoying a dinner of steak and baked potatoes. (The steak was compliments of Spanky, the steer we bought at the fair. Delicious!) We did watch a little bit of television, though we missed the ball dropping because I was watching a movie at the time.

New Year's Day was pretty quiet...and Friday meant getting back to the office for a half day. Saturday the kids played paintball at the 17 acres and then we attended the wedding of a dear friend's daughter. Today was spent getting Casey to the airport and then dinner with the family. The girls and I enjoyed two games of Liverpool Rummy...and now I need to be thinking about getting to bed.

I know the blog has been pretty quiet over the holiday...but now you know why. I will be out of town again this weekend for the wedding of my cousin's daughter. I hope to get some pictures posted from Christmas this week between appointments and work. Until then...hope you are all doing well and looking forward to a 'normal' 2009!

No comments: