Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Took The Plunge Today!

At the first of the year I set two goals for 2009.
#1. Draw Closer To God.
#2. Live A Healthier Life.

I tend to make too many lofty resolutions and fall off the wagon by the first of February each year. Like last year when I was going to clean my house every day and have zero clutter while getting up an hour and a half earlier to have more quiet time, make the coffee, do a load of laundry and empty the dishwasher EVERY DAY! So this year, I am calling them goals and have made them less specific. My theory this year is that ANY forward movement is a positive move to be celebrated.

I have been trying to make changes in both goal areas of my life. As for the second goal, I have set the daily mini-goals of drinking two 20 ounce bottles of water a day and of eating more fruits and vegetables. I do reasonably well at the water when I am at work by grabbing a bottle when I get to my desk in the mornings and another after lunch each afternoon. I hope to get to three bottles a day eventually, but you have to start someplace. As for the fruits and vegetables, I am not doing quite as well. I have apples, grapes and carrots for snacks with peanut butter or cheese or low fat ranch...but I could still do much better.

Today I instituted the last step of my three part plan to accomplish goal #2. I joined a gym! I wanted to join with a friend who would hold me accountable...but when that fell through, I knew that I had to act quickly before I lost all momentum. So this morning, on my way to see my dentist for my last two fillings, I pulled into LA Fitness, took a quick tour and signed up. No contract...so if I am unable (or more honestly, unwilling) to follow this through, at least I will not be paying for it for the rest of the year!

Tomorrow I will be meeting with a trainer for my 'New Member Orientation' and I hope he doesn't kill me on the first day! I need to go home tonight and pack my gym bag. That should be fun. I haven't done this in over four years! Any suggestions? Any ideas for keeping on track with my goals? Have any goals of your own?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did your session go with the trainer? You can e-mail me back when you are able to lift your fingers again. HA HA.

Rita