Thursday, January 8, 2009

Learning To Be Thankful

Four things I noticed as I drove in to work this morning:
1. Yaupon bushes loaded with bright, red berries along a fence row standing out from the wintry brown of the Texas countryside.
2. Two alpacas grazing in a pasture...they looked so graceful among all those cows.
3. Miniature donkeys gathered around freshly delivered hay.
4. A new housing development in the middle of nowhere...proving that the economy in our area is not yet as bad as some of the alarmist say.

All of this is evidence that God hears our prayers. You see, this morning I asked Him to remind me to be thankful for both the big and small things in my life. God was very good to us in 2008...and yet, I have found myself in one of the driest wildernesses ever; mostly because I forgot to thank the Giver of all good gifts.

As is my habit, before I had even made it to the freeway, my mind had wandered from the prayer I had uttered and the things He had revealed to the worries and trappings of this world.

As is His habit, He spoke to me clearly through the first verse of this song.

"Made To Love" by Toby Mac

The dream is fading, now I'm staring at the door
I know it's over 'cause my feet have hit the cold floor
Check my reflection, I ain't feelin' what I see
It's no mystery

Whatever happened to a passion I could live for?
What became of the flame that made me feel more
And when did I forget?

That I was made to love you, I was made to find you
I was made just for you, made to adore you
I was made to love and be loved by you?

You were here before me, you were waiting on me
And you said you'd keep me, never would you leave me
I was made to love and be loved by you.


Thank You, Lord, for being faithful when I am faithless. Thank You for opening the eyes of my heart to see Your hand in motion. Thank You for giving me ears to hear what Your Spirit was saying this morning. And thank You for being able to crank up that radio and sing at the top of lungs as the tears rolled.

As George Strait so eloquently sings, I saw God today. I hope you catch a glimpse of His greatness as well.

Edited to add: Thank God from whom all blessings flow. I sat through one and half hours of dental work on my front top teeth without hyperventilating or crying!

1 comment:

August said...

Thanks for a very inspiring post today. I too, sometimes forget to be thankful for all the blessings I received.

Yikes! I had thousands of $ in dental procedure the last two months... I fractured one of my molar and had to have a root canal and crown... it's not pleasant.

:(

P.S.
My DD told me that she made your soup that you posted a few weeks ago. She said she really liked it, she made it a little spicier than your recipe. She told me to make coz it's really good.

I can't get her to post here but I guess she reads your blog. ;)