Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Faithfulness of God: Part 2

It was now mid-July 2007. We had closed on the 5 acres in the country and were thoroughly enjoying spending time out there each weekend. During the week, we spent hours pouring over house plans and discussing what we wanted to do on the property. Pool...pond...basketball court...hammock...outdoor dining area, etc.



We would make the hour plus drive out on Saturday's to mow and clean out the undergrowth that had taken over the back two acres or so. As the sky grew dim, we would load up in the truck for the long trek back to the city. Before we would hit the highway, Jim would begin saying "turn around and take me back." This went on for several weeks. We hated leaving, even after working hard all day.



The second first week of August I had a seminar to attend in San Antonio. Jim and I had planned to use that as an excuse for a mini-vacation...but at the last minute he was unable to go with me. I tried to get one of my girls to go, then one of my friends...but no one could get away at the last minute. So, off I went...knowing in my heart that the Lord had prepared this time for me to be alone with Him. (Don't ask me how I knew, I just did.)



As I drove the two plus hours to the hotel, I began to pray that He would prepare my heart to listen to His voice. We had begun to struggle with the decision to move the following school year as Brian would be heading into his senior year and we didn't want to leave him behind in the city or force him to change schools.



Over the course of the next two days I spent time studying for the Sunday School lesson that I would be teaching the next Sunday and listening to a new Kirk Franklin CD that I had picked up for the weekend. I also took a few naps and spent time praying that the Lord would reveal His will to us. I knew in my spirit that something was changing...but could not figure it out on my own.



After listening to a seminar on construction lien law changes in Texas, I started the long drive back to Houston. Storms had been overhead all day and flood warnings were being issued as I left. About 20 miles outside of San Antonio, the storm clouds broke and I drove the rest of the way in sunshine.



About halfway home, I suddenly had the clearest message in my mind and in my heart. "It is time to make the move."



"What, Lord? We can't all five live in a 780 square foot/2 bedroom trailer. We run over each other in a four bedroom, two story home!"



Then as if I had been shown a picture, I clearly saw the sleeping arrangements and how it would work. Jim and I would convert the small out building into a temporary bedroom, the boys would share a bedroom (bunk beds) and Bri would get the remaining bedroom.



I called Jim. "You know how you never want to leave the property?" " Well, why don't we go ahead and move out there for the start of school this year?"



I think he almost fell over. Why would a woman be willing to give up her 2,000 square foot home in the city to live in a out building in the country? He asked me several times if I was sure about that decision. "Yes. I am ready. Are you?" "Of course!"



He had thought a lot about it, but would not ask me to make that kind of sacrifice. He hadn't figured out the details like sleeping arrangements...but he knew in his heart that he wanted to be in the country as soon as possible.



We had nine days until school started. The trailer needed the carpet removed and replaced and paint -- lots of paint.



We painted all the walls, put in laminate floors where the carpet had been, replaced the shower surround and moved in on Sunday night before school started on Monday morning.



God was faithful to answer my cry for understanding. He was faithful to guide us when we didn't know which way to turn.



And this was only the beginning of the blessings that He was about to reveal.

No comments: