Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

As Jim and I were getting ready for bed on Monday night, I commented to him about my excitement regarding this trip to San Francisco. No surprise there. But I followed it with, "...since you traveled a lot and don't like to travel anymore." He countered with, "don't be making excuses for yourself."

That took be aback.

Do I make excuses for myself? Yes!

Why? I don't know!

It is not like he is against this trip in the least. I didn't have to bargain or beg to go. We are not going to miss a mortgage payment by me going. The children are old enough to hold their own and don't require his constant attention (though even when they did, he never said anything about me taking a weekend away).

So why the guilt?

I have always dreamed of traveling. Nothing too exotic...I am not that imaginative...but of seeing the US and all her glory. I would love to spend a week in a cabin somewhere in the mountains of Colorado or browsing the museums in Washington, DC. And there are so many friends and family spread out across this nation that I would love to spend time visiting face to face in their element.

Growing up, my family didn't take vacations. Other than visiting family, I remember only two outings. An overnight visit to Six Flags Over Texas in the Dallas area and a weekend in Biloxi, MS.

As our children were growing up, we didn't really take vacations either. We would visit family members on holidays and, once we moved to Texas, we would take visiting family to see the local sights...sometimes staying away for the weekend.

Did I ever think I would really see New York City, much less twice in one year? No way. Atlanta? No, Ma'am! San Francisco? Nope.

Maybe that is why this feels like a 'Guilty Pleasure'...my dreams are coming true and I am not real sure how to handle it!

I will accept this as a gift from the Lord and try to enjoy every single minute of it.

Anyone out there feeling me? I would love to hear your story.

I don't know if I will post from California. I can't decide whether to hassle with taking the computer through airport security or not. If not, I will have pictures next Tuesday...Wednesday at the latest.

California or bust...y'all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it. Personnally I would like to spend a week in the Grand Canyon, Fly to Alaska and take the train to the outback and then cruise back. If time and money is on your side, don't feel guilty!

Love ya'
Aunt Fran

Stacy said...

NO GUILT!