Thursday, February 5, 2009

Out Of The Ashes

As I was preparing to leave Meagan's after Kelli's shower last Saturday, Davin ran up to me to hug me goodbye...or so I thought. Instead he grabbed hold of my neck and started reaching for the door repeating "car, car". He wanted to go home with me. How could I say no?

After all, being a grandmother has given me some perspective on his request.
1. The day is quickly approaching when he will be in his 'mommy stage" and will not want to be with anyone but Meagan and Derrick.
2. Though he asked to go home with Nonna, she is actually the quickest way to get to Papaw, or 'Pa', as Davin calls him.

Within a few hours of arriving at our house, he had already been riding on the Ranger and the tractor; played with all his toys; had dinner and had started walking in his sleep. I dressed him in his pajamas and thought surely the time for bed was almost upon us. But no, he kept himself busy between playing with toys in the living room where we were and checking in on his Uncle Brian and Uncle Will who were playing video games in Will's room.

About 9:30, he had just wandered back into Will's room when Debbie whispered to me, "Fonda, grab your camera." I looked over into the game room to see this.

That is Jim's ash bucket for the fireplace...and those are the ashes from the last few fires all over his head and face! he was throwing them straight up in the air and watching them fall.

It took me 10 minutes just to get all the ashes washed out of his hair. My bathtub looked a mess when he finished!

As we dropped into bed about midnight, I told Jim that I didn't know how in the world we raised five children. Just one for one night wore me out!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Oh my...how cute and funny...and look at that carpet...precious picture!

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks as if Davin takes after Uncle Will or was it Uncle Brian? I can't remember which one but I know if was one of the boys and he was going to help you clean house by 'shampooing the carpet'. Sounds great, right? Only he used butter into of rug shampoo. It looks like Meagan and Derrick will have an adventureous childhood with Davin.

Rita

August said...

Awww... it's such a cute picture of him.