Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mom, Will You Put A Snack Pack In My Lunch?

Yesterday afternoon, after work, I was doing some last minute shopping before heading to Arkansas for my niece's high school graduation. I had bought a few new summer clothes and been on a treasure hunt for a pair of brown sandals (I ended up with bronze, but they will do).

After all that running, I stopped by Wal Mart to pick up a few easy meals for Jim and the kids while I am away. The store was being remodeled--so it was hard to find anything--but as always, it was packed.

After finally making it through the check out, I rushed to the car, threw most of the groceries in the trunk, and the sodas in the front seat along with my personal belongings. I then turned to walk my shopping cart to the cart corral across from my car.

Three teenagers were ahead of me as I returned to the car. One of the boys made a comment about my 'iPhone' (it was actually my iTouch) being in plain sight and that it was just asking to be 'jacked'.

I laughed and made a comment about it laying in plain sight because I was standing right there.

He kept walking but popped off for me to 'shut up'.

I couldn't believe it! But for the life of me, I couldn't keep my mouth shut...so I popped back, "you shut up, you little punk.'

I know that it wasn't the wisest thing to do, nor was it the most Christlike (actually not anything like Christ)...but really, I couldn't just let it go. I fumed about it as I started my drive home...and then I burst out laughing. "Shut up". "No, you shut up". What am I, in third grade?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny. Kids/teens are so rude today. I would have probably told them more than "no, you shut up" but hey, I take after my mom and you know her... ha ha ha ha ha

Unknown said...

lol that is so funny... I can't even imagine you doing that, go mom! if his parents can't keep him in line than somebody else needs to. I know you raised all of us better than to tell ANY adult, much less a stranger, to shut up.