Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sometimes The Oldies Are Still Goodies

Last night I made an old family favorite that hadn't seen the outside of my recipe box in YEARS!  How is it that we forget to cook meals we once loved?  Perhaps we just got burned out on them at one time...I know that is true of the Sausage Kale Soup these days.  Since all of the kids seem to request it, we have eaten it a LOT!  The only common denominator in our household is Jim and I...so we are TIRED of eating it!

But, anywho...back to last night's dinner.

I was a little bit creative with the original recipe since I am trying to use up as many of the items in my pantry and freezer as I possibly can before I shop again.  I am allowing myself to stop at the store every few days, but, I am only allowing myself to pick up two items that are not staples to round out a meal.  Call me crazy.  I guess I just like a challenge when there really doesn't have to be one!

So, here is my latest version of an old family favorite:

Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1 1/2 pounds of chicken tenders, boiled and cubed
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can chicken stock
flour tortillas
mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine chicken, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup and 1/2 can of chicken stock in medium sized mixing bowl.  Stir until thoroughly mixed.  Spray a 9" X 13" baking dish with Pam.  Layer tortillas on bottom of casserole dish.  Top with chicken/cheese mixture and add another layer of tortillas.  Pour about a quarter cup of additional stock (or water, if no stock is available) into the mixing bowl, thinning any leftover soup mixture.  Pour over the top of the tortillas to keep them soft during backing.  Top with shredded Mozzarella.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until bubbly.


This recipe came from my Aunt Camille, who is an extraordinary cook.  She rolls her mixture into the tortillas making individual enchiladas...but since I get home after 6, I found the ten to fifteen minutes saved by layering it like a casserole was worth it!  It was still delicious...plus the boys don't have to be as 'polite' in their serving sizes!  They can take a whole corner without the other complaining that 'he got more then me!' 

Also, I normally begin with a whole chicken...but we had chicken tenders left over from the 'Chicken Enchilada Soup in the Slow Cooker' that I made last week.  (If you click on that link you will be taken to Tiffany's page at Eat At Home.  It's really delicious!)

So, how about you?  Any old recipes you may need to dust off and reintroduce to your meal plan line up?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We had these the other night. I like to top mine with store bought salsa verde, it adds a bit of spice to it.

B said...

This is our favorite too had chicken already cooked for these and all ingredients ...um you make me hungry

Shelly said...

I made those the other night too!! Great minds think alike!