Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicago Trip: Day One

Has anyone noticed my lack of posts this week?

Well, there is a reason for it. I am playing catch-up at work and at home since returning from a long weekend in Chicago.

You know how it is...extra work on your desk...grocery shopping...extra laundry. Those things that make you want a vacation after your vacation!

Anyway, I left last Thursday morning to meet some special people whom I love dearly in Chicago.
My cousin, Shelly...


and her daughter, Taylor (plus Troy and Madison, who you will see later on.)
Upon arriving at the hotel, I was starving. What's up with Southwest flying at noon with only crackers and nuts to eat? I guess that is why the flight was cheaper than Continental.
I wanted to try the Chicago style pizza while we were in town, so we headed to Gino's East for dinner. The pie was pretty good...but I still prefer the Brooklyn style pizza.
The thing at Gino's is that any surface not labeled as off limits is open for 'tagging'. Yes, all that writing behind Shelly and Taylor is graffiti! Taylor even tagged the wall at our booth.
As we were preparing to leave, Shelly noticed the wall behind me...
"Woo Pig, Sooie"...all the way up in Chicago! Made me feel right at home! (We will not discuss the "Roll Tide" that was just below it!)
After stuffing our faces with the pizza...half Meaty and half Cheeseburger...we headed out for a little stroll along the Magnificent Mile.

We made a stop at the Hershey Store, where they have a cool machine that let's you "work" to "make your own" candy.
Here is Taylor, hard at work, spinning wheels as fast as she can to fill a tub.

She was so proud of her efforts. She talked about it for the rest of the evening...saying, "Aunt Fonda, do you remember when I worked and got the candy?" ;-) I miss those days with my kids who are now too grown to pretend anymore.
To give her credit, she shared with all of us: as much candy as we wanted even though we didn't do any of the work!
Our hotel was just down the street from the Chicago Water Tower.


I just love the architecture of this building! It is used as an art gallery now.

We continued to stroll back up Michigan Avenue...passing several Lego statues along the way.


Here is Troy and Taylor with "Indiana Jones'.
We also saw a shark with his octopus friend and an Egyptian mummy.

And here is a picture of the Water Tower at night.


Gorgeous! It makes me want to get lost in a fairy tale!

I will be back tomorrow with pictures from last Friday. It was a BIG day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw on the news a few weeks ago that they are doing away with the free snacks and drinks.. they will have to be purchased unless you are in 1st class, then you can have a bag of peanuts and a soda. crazyness.