Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chicago Trip: Day Three

Saturday, we woke up to a cooler, overcast day. It was our last full day in Chicago and we still had so much to see.

We started our day with the buffet lunch at the John Hancock building's Signature Room.

This is one of the few pictures I took of the whole Imus family. Look at Madison's sweet smile!

This was our view of Chicago from the 94th floor windows. Beautiful, even on a rainy morning.

Taylor took this picture to show just how far up we were!

And this is her self portrait of the two of us.

As we were leaving the restaurant, I snapped this picture of the view from the other side. Lake Michigan. Y'all, this just blows my mind. The only time I have ever seen this much water in one place it was AN OCEAN! (or at least the Gulf!)

After our early lunch, we did a little shopping and then decided to part ways for the afternoon. While Shelly and Troy took Madison back to the hotel for a much deserved nap OUTSIDE the stroller, Taylor and I headed to the Field Museum.
(All but the last picture at the bottom of this post were taken by Taylor. The Museum through her eyes.)

As soon as you walk in the door, you are greeted by Sue (the T-Rex).

As you can see by the banners, this is Sue's tenth anniversary at the Field Museum.

And its a BIG deal!

Sue is the most intact T-Rex found to date. Her skeletal remains are 90% complete.

We also visited with RoboSue and friends. These mechanical dinosaurs are a little overwhelming at first. Not only do they move, but they have sensors that help them track your movements and large flat screens that show you what each dinosaur is looking at. So, not only do they turn their heads when you walk by and roar at you...but you see yourself 'through their eyes' as they do so.


We also watched the 3-D movie which tells Sue's story. Not only about the discovery of her remains, but also what her life may have been like. We found out that she had suffered an injury to her left leg at some point as well as having a few broken ribs. As we were leaving the museum we took another look at Sue and sure enough...we could spot all those injuries!

During our ride back to the hotel, Taylor snapped a few more pictures, mostly self portraits of funny faces she was making...but this one that I took was my favorite.

After meeting up with the rest of the family, we set off for dinner at Ed Debevic's. A 50's style diner with attitude!
The following morning it was time to pack up and head home. Me heading south and them heading north. It was a wonderful trip. We had a great time. Saw some interesting things. Ate some good food. But mostly, just enjoyed visiting with family!

No comments: