Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Comes To Waller County

Look how green our place is getting! Things are really beginning to take shape, thanks to Jim's hard work. The underpinning is almost complete on the double wide.

We have decided to add a front porch, since it may be a little while before we can start building our 'dream home' at the 17 acres. I think she needs a good face lift on the interior too, so we will be choosing paint colors soon.

The back of the property is shaping up as well. When we moved out here in 2007, the back of the property was pretty much all thickets of tallowood saplings and briars. Jim and Will have been battling the elements and now there is just the back left hand corner to besiege and conquer.

Meanwhile, I have added some spring color to the front entry. The hay bales of fall where cute Mr. Crow once resided (may he rest in peace) has been replaced with the park bench that the kids gave me for Mothers Day a few years back. I love the Texas themed wreaths with their bluebonnets and sunflowers. I emptied the planters of the dead mums from last fall and replaced them with begonias, ivy and Carolina jasmine. I hope they last for a little while, because they make me smile as I pull into the driveway each day. I now need to tackle my new flower bed. I can't decide whether to plant azaleas or hydrangeas. I love the purple hydrangeas, but I have heard that they can be pretty temperamental...and we all know that I am no Master Gardener to begin with! Everyone seems to have azaleas around here, so I figure I might have a chance with them. Any other ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From black thumb to black thumb, the only thing that I didn't kill in my yard was confederate jasmine. Just put in a sunny place and leave them alone. They will grow all over the place in a couple of years. Tree wise we can grow crepe mrytles and bradford pear. Everything else dies.

Black Thumb Gardner,
Rita

August said...

I love the bench area, I can imagine you sitting there just relaxing and drinking a glass of cold iced tea. :)

I'm so jealous of your spring weather. It's still cold here and I can't work in my yard. But it has been sunny and a little warmer the last two days.

Anonymous said...

Fonda,
Azaleas are a little tempormental as well. You have to plant them in shallow holes or they will die. Hydrangeas are water loving plants but don't like their roots to stand in water. Just put them in partial shade, make sure the soil pH is between 4.7 and 5.7. The more acid the soil is the deeper blue the color, if they are mopheads (old fashion) the Oakleaf hydrangea is beautiful when it blooms but is absolutely beautiful in the fall. The leaves turn like oak trees, reds, yellows, oranges,etc. All of these are for partial shade, because they need morning sunlight to set their blooms. Love ya' Aunt Fran

Fonda said...

As you can probably tell...My Aunt Fran is a Master Gardener!

Thanks, Aunt Fran. Now at least I know what to look for at the nursery.